Ocean of Earth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ocean of Earth

Post by GoMulchGo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 pm

This was something from my dream, with a few tweaks to make it more... realistic. In this story there is no land; all of Earth is submerged in water. The few survivors built ships, floating docks, and there is magic in this story. Ok, enough rambling.

Chapter One: Forever Blue

Orville looked out onto the everlasting ocean. He missed dry land, but there was no point in missing it. You can't change the past, especially if it's not humanity's fault.

"Hey, Orville." Orville turned his head to see his best friend, Hakeem. "You were supposed to be at practice today. What happened?"

"I just decided to look at the ocean."

"You miss it, don't you? The land? It's gone you know," said Hakeem.

Orville was surprised. Hakeem always seemed to know what he was thinking. It's like he had special magic of his own.

"Hey, how do you always know what I'm thinking?" inquired Orville.

Hakeem sat down next to Orville. "It's in your eyes. I can see it. Anyway, we were taught to turn sadness into anger. And turn anger into action, remember?"

"Yes, I remember. But I just can't seem to do it. I just can't get angry."

Hakeem sighed. "You need more meditation. You can't focus your emotions without proper meditation. Here's a trick I use when I meditate: My mind is a glass window. Random thoughts are light waves. As the light enters my mind, I let them go by unaltered. I don't chase after them and I don't run away from them. I don't slow them down or bend their path. That's what you should do. Just let the random thoughts and distractions flow through you."

"Alright, Hakeem. I suppose I could try that."

Hakeem smiled. "Cool. Now let's go. The Feed is about to start."

Orville smiled back. "No thanks. I'll stay here for a little while longer."

"Alright, but don't stay too long. I'll get an extra plate for you at the Feed," Hakeem said, standing up and walking in the ship.

The Feed was the dinner that the whole ship attended. It was set in the biggest room on the ship, The Great Hall, where there were buffet tables filled with food. They had salads, fruits, drinks, dessert, and seafood. They also had meat from land, but that was for the captain and the people in uniforms because land meat was scarce. When everyone finished their food, the captain took attendance to make sure no one fell overboard or died in some way. Everybody was supposed to attend the Feed, just in case something disastrous happened.

Orville watched Hakeem go inside. When the door closed, he turned back and started to meditate, focusing on the technique Hakeem told him about. He did pretty well, but when it came to noises that were very loud, he opened an eye to see what it was. It was usually sea animals like fish and dolphin, but that's it. Nothing out of the ordinary. He finally decided to get going. He stood up, dusted off his pants, and headed inside.

Last edited by GoMulchGo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
GoMulchGo
Writing Whiz

Male
Number of posts : 213

Points 2.0 : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ocean of Earth

Post by Hazel on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Cool idea! I like your character names! Very Happy

Hazel, the pizza eating, hand walking, inconspicuous ninja, who secretly enjoys eating ice cream while singing at the top of her lungs and dancing around like a maniac, has mega cool superpowers in which she will one day save the world that always seems to be in peril. That is her purpose in life.
Hazel

Female
Number of posts : 11563

Points 2.0 : 10202
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/619558

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlite Knight on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:40 am

Nice story! I like it! One of my cousin's is named Hakeem Very Happy

)
..*) .*)
(.`~ Join the Kingdom of Darkness, or this shall be your fate.~)
..*) .*)
(.`
Moonlite Knight
Prodigy Writer

Female
Number of posts : 2031

Points 2.0 : 469
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1221019/Moonlite_Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by GoMulchGo on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Chapter Two: Remaining Land

There were several ships that left the last of the land on time. There were about 50 ships from every continent; that was quite a lot, but not enough to get everybody safe. If there were 6 human inhabited continents, and 1000 people on each ship, then that's not a lot of people compared to the former population. You do the math.

In a different ship than Orville, on the other side of the world, a middle-aged man named Kenneth was on lookout duty. The chances of anyone spotting anything in the ocean, besides water and sea animals, was very small. Kenneth knew this, but on this shift he thought it would be wise to actually search for things because rumors spread on board about the captain's best men watching the other employees. It was best to do this because you couldn't tell if anyone was watching you at night.

Kenneth peeked out to try to see anything. He was about to take a bite of leftover calamari, but stopped when he saw a faint light in the distance. He waited for a minute and it started to look like another ship (another ship meant trade in food, knowledge, employees, etc.). He clanged the bell and started to shout to wake up other residents.

Lights started to come on and the ship staff began filing out. Kenneth climbed down the ladder to tell everyone what he saw.

The captain's assistant was the first one to ask something.

"Kenneth! What did you see?" he asked.

"There's another ship out there!"

Lots of questions were being asked. "What did he say... Where's it from... Who's in it.?"

The assistant decided to make sure. Are you sure it was a ship? Go back up there, make certain it was a ship!"

Kenneth rushed back up the ladder. He squinted his eyes and looked at what appeared to be a boat. He was amazed to see what was behind it. Land!

He yelled back down to everybody. "It's another ship, that's for sure! But I'm skeptical of what's behind it! It looks like land! Dry land!"

More murmurs from below. One voice rose out above the rest. "Check again!"

Kenneth leaned forward as far as he could go. He squinted to see as clearly as possible. Now there was no mistaking it for anything else but land.

The island stretched as far as he could see to the left and right. There was a harbor where the other ship was docked. The was a harbor where the ship was docked. The ground was rough and gravelly. A few mountains jutted up from the middle of the island. There were several dozen scattered trees.

"Well is it an island or not!?"

"It really is island!" Kenneth shouted back. "With a harbor! It has gravelly earth and trees! There are mountains and," he spread his arms out, " I can't see the end of it!"

Kenneth climbed back down the ladder. He started looking for the assistant. "Where's Shane?" he asked.

Someone called out, "He went to tell the captain."

"Okay, everybody go back down to your rooms. Only the staff goes out on land until the captain says otherwise. Regulars stay on stay on board," Kenneth explained.

Everybody started heading back inside. As the last of the people disappeared, Shane, the captain's assistant, came out.

"The captain said that the higher staff will go out as soon as we dock. We have to check the island for potential dangers," Shane explained.

Kenneth groaned. His shift was almost over and now he had something else to do.

"How long until we dock?" Kenneth asked.

"Ten minutes at most. Go to your room and get your lantern, your comfortable clothes, and your compass. Hurry, don't waste any time. I'll tell the rest of the higher staff."

When Shane was finished, Kenneth ran down to his room to prepare. It looks like there is exploring to be done.
GoMulchGo
Writing Whiz

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeberexa on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Nice story, I liked it. Very good plot and imagination.

I have a few suggestions, though.

GoMulchGo wrote:
"Hey, Orville." Orville turned his head to see his best friend, Hakeem.

Saying "Orville" twice really messed up the flow of the story. I would try to re-arrange or re-write that part. Also,

GoMulchGo wrote:
Hakeem smiled. "Cool. Now let's go. The Feed is about to start."

Orville smiled back. "No thanks. I'll stay here for a little while longer."

"Alright, but don't stay too long. I'll get an extra plate for you at the Feed," Hakeem said, standing up and walking in the ship.

When Hakeem said, "I'll get you an extra plate," he didn't need to say at the Feed. He had said that earlier and Orville ould have inferred it.

In your second post,

GoMulchGo wrote:
When Shane was finished, Kenneth ran down to his room to prepare. It looks like there is exploring to be done.

You used the wrong tense when you said "It looks like there is exploring to be done." You had ben using past tense, like a story, before.

Overall, though, it's a wonderful story. I give it a 10/10.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jeberexa

Male
Number of posts : 298

Points 2.0 : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-18

View user profile http://www.kidpolitic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GoMulchGo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Chapter 3: The Raid

"Aah! Where is it?!" Kenneth started to panic. "Where's my compass?! I can't find it!" He put on his comfortable clothes and found his lantern, but he couldn't find the compass. He heard people outside his door. Staff!

He was franticly shuffling through his drawers looking for his compass. Kenneth must have been searching for about ten more minutes when he finally found it. He peeked out his porthole and saw the crew walking onto the docking area. Frustrated, he grabbed his compass and lantern and rushed to the dock.

No one was there. "Darn it!" Kenneth ran into the trees which is likely to be the place where everyone was. He was stopped by a lion that waltzed out into the open.

Kenneth stared as it walked by. He hadn't seen a lion in so long. 'I must be on Africa. What's left of it anyway,' He thought. He remembered what he was doing and ran off into the thick, damp forest. Kenneth heard voices ahead. He must be getting close!

"Hey, get your hands off of me!" Shane's voice said. It was a voice out of struggle.

Confused, Kenneth peeked through the bushes. The higher staff was being mugged!

"Shut up, you little boy!" A snapping sound cracked through the forest and Shane started screaming. Kenneth quickly considered his options: He could run into the party and get beat up, or he could head back to the ship and warn everyone. The second option seemed best so he quickly, but quietly, ran back to the ship.

When Kenneth got to the shore, he spotted bodies with unfamiliar faces boarding the ship, and, more shockingly, dragging people off onto the land. It was chaos!

Kenneth saw there was a screaming 13 year-old girl being taken away from what appeared to be her mother. The mom was shouting. "Get your hands off of my Tawsha!"

He turned to run, but was stopped short by a human giant. Kenneth thought about running because that was all the time he had to do. He was tapped lightly on the base of the skull and fell unconscious.

Everyone was dragged out and the ship was burned.

Sorry about the short chapter. I'll try to make it longer next time.
GoMulchGo
Writing Whiz

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:17 am

Eeek cliffhanger! Hahaha oh well great story! love it! Very Happy

Hazel, the pizza eating, hand walking, inconspicuous ninja, who secretly enjoys eating ice cream while singing at the top of her lungs and dancing around like a maniac, has mega cool superpowers in which she will one day save the world that always seems to be in peril. That is her purpose in life.
Hazel

Female
Number of posts : 11563

Points 2.0 : 10202
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/619558

Back to top Go down

Post by GoMulchGo on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Chapter 4: The Dream

Orville woke up to a nightmare, quietly screaming. It didn't matter if it was a nightmare or a dream, he still woke up very alarmed. He sat up in bed and looked around the room.

"It's just a dream," he whispered to himself. He closed his eyes and tried to mentally recite it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Orville was on a rock, sitting next to a girl whose name he did not know. They were watching the sun settle down past the horizon. Before the sun went down, Orville looked at her: Her hair was dark black, long and thin. Her eyes were a turquoise blue that sparkled in dim light. Her skin was semi-pale and magically smooth. She was slim and very petite, with an hourglass shape.

She looked back at him: Long, curly, black hair. Eyes with a half-shade of brown and hazel. Light brown skin with a reddish tinge. He was tall and slim with a calm mind.

The sun ducked below the horizon and just as their sight dimmed, the rest of their senses lightened up. They felt cool breezes, smelled pretty fragrances, they tasted the clean water vapor, and they heard the high tide washing sand off and on the beach. They were in complete darkness with the exception of the silver moonlight. Listening, tasting, smelling, and feeling. This was something the pair always wanted. But as we all know, nothing lasts forever, not even this....

Then, the earth sped up a few revolutions and threw up a wild squall, knocking the couple in the air. Another strong wind pulled them apart, tossing Orville up the beach and throwing the girl to the opposite side, the raging ocean. Orville grunted as he landed on his back. He tried to make his muscles push him back on his feet.

The girl fell in the large waves. She tried to fight the waves, to climb back on the beach, but it was impossible in the angry ocean. She called out to Orville for help.

Orville heard her cry and finally stood up. He ran towards the edge of the beach to retrieve the girl. Without hesitation, he jumped into the water and forced his exhausted legs to propel him. After what seemed like hours of searching, he finally found her. The girl's hair shined radiantly in the moonlight. That was where he lugged his body. It seemed like she was swimming away, then swimming to him. He finally reached her when he realized it was just a shiny dolphin. It swam around him and eventually went away. The storm died down, but he was too far from the shore, he relaxed his muscles and slipped under the surface.
------------------------------------------------------------

That was where he woke, and his dream ended. 'That's what's going to happen all of us,' Orville thought as he stared at his room ceiling, 'A watery grave.'
GoMulchGo
Writing Whiz

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GoMulchGo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Chapter 5: More Than Rumors

As the sun rose up from the horizon, more people on Orville's ship woke up and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast. Orville's mother was one of the early birds.

"Orville, get up before the lines get long." Alina, Orville's mother, grabbed a pillow and swung it at him, forcing Orville to defend himself.

Orville groaned. Of all the moms I could have gotten, he thought, I had to get the one who's a morning person.

Alina just kept throwing pillows at him. Eventually she would run out of pillows. And she did, but she still knew how to get him up.

"Looks like I'm forced to throw the apples at you," she warned.

Orville responded with jerking his head up, "I'm awake!" he assured his mother, "Hold the ammo, please. I'm awake."

Alina was already at the door. "Hurry up and get dressed. I'll grab an extra plate for you," and she left.

Orville sighed and rested his muscles for a moment, meditating. About five minutes later, he stood up and got ready for the Great hall.

Ten minutes later

Orville arrived at the Great Hall and passed a few tables before he spotted his mother with Hakeem. There were three plates of food on the table. Alina also spotted him and waved him over. When the table was within hearing distance of his voice, he asked, "Hakeem, why aren't you with your family?"

Hakeem finished the rest of his eggs. "I have something to tell you two. But before I do, do you promise you won't tell anyone else?" The two nodded. "Do you remember before the global flood, that I had very large family? Well not all of my family got on this ship. Some others boarded other ships, but we can still contact each other. Now, there were rumors on my cousin's ship that there was still dry land somewhere."

There was silence at the table for five seconds. Alina was the first to speak, "Well do they know where it is?"

Hakeem drank the rest of his juice. "No, but like I said, those were rumors," He answered, "But that's not all. My other cousin, on another ship, contacted my dad and he said his ship's staff actually spotted land. He said that the staff went off the boat to check out the island for anything potentially dangerous. My cousin contacted him again, but the connection was cut short." Hakeem looked around. "My dad told us he heard screaming on the other end before the connection dropped."

Silence again. And again Alina spoke up, "So the remaining land is more than just rumors, right?"

"Yes, and the occupants of that land are apparently hostile."

This time Orville spoke. "So, shouldn't we tell the captain about it? If we run into that island, or land, the same thing that happened to your cousin could happen to us."

Hakeem shook his head. "No, we can't tell anyone. Not even the captain, he probably has his own contacts and already knows about it. If you tell the captain that my dad was the one that told you, then he'll be thrown in the cells. It could be the same thing for me. Reality is, I'm not even supposed to tell you. My dad told us to not tell anyone. I'm already deep enough in trouble if my dad knew I told you." Hakeem signed off by taking his empty plate to the kitchen window.

Mother and son were silent. "Honey, eat your eggs."

I hope that was long enough for you. Smile
GoMulchGo
Writing Whiz

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GoMulchGo on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Chapter 6: No Way Out

"Uuugh," Kenneth groaned as he sat up from the cold, hard, cement floor. He held his head in his hands, waiting for the horrible ache in his head to go away. He looked around the square room: It was made of cement all around except for one side that blocked off the exit with steel poles. It had two beds that didn't have much quality. And that was it.

He was in a jail cell. He sat there, waiting for the cell to shift weight. It never did, which led him to believe that he was not on a boat, but dry land. Then his memory came back. He jumped up to his feet.

"Oh no!" Kenneth shouted, "I'm a prisoner! Oh man, how do I get out of here?" He asked himself.

"You can't," said a soft, quiet, voice behind him. He turned and saw a teenage girl sitting on the ground in the corner. He could have sworn there wasn't anyone there before. "It's not possible to get out," she continued, "the walls are made of cement, I don't think a five-ton rhinoceros could make a dent in it.

Kenneth imagined what a rhinoceros could do in here. He touched the walls, feeling the density of the cement. "You're right. But I don't think a five-ton rhinoceros couldn't get out through the steel poles," he joked. The girl didn't laugh, she just pulled her knees up to her chin. Kenneth realized this was a bad time for jokes. "Sorry," he said.

Kenneth sat down next to her. "So why are you so calm right now?" he asked.

"I'm not. I'm panicking from the inside," she answered.

"Oh." Kenneth sighed. There was silence for who knows how long. Kenneth finally decided to break the ice. "Looks like we're cell mates from now on." She nodded. "I'm Kenneth," he continued, smiling, "and you are?"

She waited a few seconds and answered, "Tawsha, my name is Tawsha."

Kenneth's smile faded. This was the girl that got separated from her mother.

"I was unconscious when I was thrown in here, so I don't know what the island looks like. I'm not sure if you were knocked out, so did you see anything on the island that's a good hiding spot?" he asked.

Tawsha looked at him funny. "Why?"

"I was thinking, if we escaped from this cell, then we can hide somewhere until help comes," Kenneth explained.

"Oh," she said, "Yeah, I've seen some good hiding spots." Kenneth's spirit started to lift. "And I also saw the building we're trapped in, it looks like it should be airtight, but it's not. I say this because I saw no way out." Kenneth's spirit sank again. "And besides, if we planned an escape, they would know about it." She pointed to the ceiling. There was a little upside dome stuck on the ceiling. "It's a camera."

Kenneth thought about it, "Yeah, but the ceiling is made of cement, remember? It's not broadcasting, it's recording."

"Whether it's broadcasting or recording, we still can't escape," she pointed out. Tawsha yawned.

"Maybe you should get some sleep," Kenneth suggested, "Who knows what's going to happen tomorrow?" 'If it's not already tomorrow.' Kenneth thought.

Without a word, Tawsha lied down on her lumpy, new, mattress.

Kenneth didn't go on his mattress, he already had plenty of sleep. He just thought. Thought and thought and thought, but he couldn't think of a way out, based on the things he learned. 'Maybe I should gather more information before I look for a way out,' Kenneth thought. He decided to give it a rest for now and crawled on his mattress, waiting, just waiting.
GoMulchGo
Writing Whiz

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down