Chaya's Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chaya's Story

Post by Hazel on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 pm

this is a really sad story, but it's history.....i categorize it like Historical fiction............but this is just a warning that it may be sad to people.......

My name is Chaya and I am Jewish. It is the year 1941 in Berlin, Germany. Germany is

the worst place to be especially if you are Jewish. I am 12 years old and an only child. I live

alone with my mother. My father was sent to what Nazi’s refer to as death camp. My mother

and I were in hiding for a while but the Nazi’s found us.

It was early morning as I awoke to my mother shaking me. She said we were to get on a

train. I wondered why we were getting on a train so early. When I asked my mother, she

admitted that she didn’t know. A man in a uniform came in and destroyed our belongings and

took our jewelry. He led my mother and I into a crowded boxcar. There was no way I was

goingin there! I stood still. The soldier told me to get in. I refused. The soldier picked me up

andthrew me into the boxcar. I had to stand in the boxcar for nearly the whole trip which took

almost two days. It was hot and stuffy and hard to breathe. I couldn’t wait to get to where-ever

we were going. I had no idea where we were headed.

When we got to the concentration camp, a soldier opened the boxcar and let us out.

There were millions of other soldiers there. At the time, I didn’t realize we were headed for a

concentration camp. One soldier told us to get into the showers. Another soldier led us into a

room filled with clothes that were tattered and torn. I had to find something to wear. I looked

around and everyone had something on now. The Nazi led us to a Jew to cut our hair. I did not

want my hair to be cut, but those soldiers looked like they wouldn’t take any trouble from

anybody. I closed my eyes as this person cut my hair. Everyone looked similar with their hair cut

so short. I looked around for my mother. I didn’t realize that she was standing next to me. I

hardly recognized her with short hair. Nazi’s gave us bowls and told us not to lose them. Next,

we were taken to be tattooed. A “J” for Jew was branded on our arms. I had to find a bunk to

sleep on. I was in fear of my life and couldn’t get to sleep. I was too busy thinking about what

was going to happen to me next.

The next day the Nazi’s gave us a piece of hard and moldy bread. The Nazi’s dictated

their rules then took us outside to do a lot of heavy physical labor. We had to lift very heavy

bricks. It was hard and I was very tired. But if I stopped I was afraid that I may get tortured

or shot. Later on, I figured out we were building the oven where Nazis will kill all the children.

Once the oven was built, the Nazi’s took all the children under 10 and put them in the gas oven.

There was one little Jewish girl who was not put in. I had to hide her. I slipped away and took

the girl. I hid her in our room. She was frightened. I told her to stay hiding because the soldiers

do not like children. I found out from the child that she thought her mother was dead and she had

no father. Suddenly, a Nazi soldier burst into the room. I was able to hide the girl quickly. The

Nazi asked why I was not working. I was speechless. I should have made a quick excuse but my

mouth wouldn’t open. The soldier dragged me from the room and shoved me toward the other

Jews. He said to eat lunch and get back to work. That was a close call. I thought I was going to

end up in the oven. I almost fainted with relief.

A while had passed, I could not find my mother. I asked my aunt. She told me that my

mother had run away. It couldn’t be true. There was no place to run. Wouldn’t she have taken

me with her? I felt alone, although, I knew I was not. I told my aunt all about the little girl.

Later that night, I showed her the little girl. The little girl cried out in joy. That girl was Liah,

my cousin. I didn’t recognize her. My aunt hugged me. I saved my cousin without knowing it.

Dinner was just as bad as breakfast. I didn’t complain because I was lucky to get any

dinner at all. The bunk seemed more uncomfortable every night. I was trying to count how many

days I had been here, but I could not. I was getting thinner. I am tired of eating moldy food.

Even a dog would get treated better than all of us Jews. The next morning I successfully swiped

a newspaper and stuffed in my pocket. It had to have some news about the war in it. I didn’t

have time to read very much of it until later that night. It sounded like the Nazi’s were winning.

My heart sunk. What would happen to me and the other Jews if the Nazi’s won? The thought

made my body shiver. I didn’t want to think what might happen.

Time went on and the Nazi’s seemed to get happier. Probably from reading the news-

paper. They got a little careless and ten Jews escaped. That ended the Nazi’s jovial mood

quickly. They would shoot anyone who took one step out of bounds. I couldn’t stand those

Nazis. I wish I could run away. But if I was caught, I was sure to be killed. I stole another news

paper. I read the United States of America was coming into the war to help us fight the Nazis.

A Nazi found me with the newspaper. My heart was beating out of my chest. He yanked the

newspaper out of my hands and shook me. I don’t know how I got my mouth to move but I

assured him that I was not able to read. He believed me. This place scares me. These Nazis care

about nobody but themselves.

I woke up early the next morning to the sun shining in my face. If the sun was me and

could feel my misery it wouldn’t be shining. The Nazi’s made us take showers today. When I

found out why, I wished I had never been born. Hitler, the leader of the Nazis, most selfish and

evil, was visiting the concentration camp. Hitler wanted to be sure that his soldiers were doing a

good job at making us miserable. When the inspection was done, Hitler left.

A few days later, I found out America had bombed Japan and Hitler had killed himself.

I couldn’t contain myself. I yelled “Hooray”. The war was over! A week later American planes

picked up all the Jews and brought them to the U.S. I found my father there. I was so glad to

see he was alive. I also found my mother. It was such a happy reunion. We stayed in the United

States.

Those memories of the war still haunt me to this day. I went to an American school and

learned to speak English. I made many friends. I graduated from high school and college. I

became an author and wrote stories of World war II in hopes that no one will ever forget the

past.
Hazel

Female
Number of posts : 11563

Points 2.0 : 10202
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/619558

Back to top Go down

Re: Chaya's Story

Post by Moonlite Knight on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:59 pm

That's was really good! I really like how you wrote it in simple sentence, becuase that makes it seem like a little girl is telling her story, and that leaves more of a impact than using complex and sophisticated diction and sectences. Good Job!

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·`¤~ Join the Kingdom of Darkness, or this shall be your fate.~¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·`¤
Moonlite Knight
Prodigy Writer

Female
Number of posts : 2031

Points 2.0 : 469
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1221019/Moonlite_Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetkiss on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:52 am

Very good. I agree with Moonlight Knight, it did feel like a little girl was telling the story. Awesome job.
sweetkiss
Writing Whiz

Female
Number of posts : 214

Points 2.0 : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklady on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:40 am

That was good, and I have to agree with MK and Sweetkiss.

Darklady
Writing Whiz

Female
Number of posts : 168

Points 2.0 : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeberexa on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:20 pm

That was okay, but the history was wrong. Hitler didn't kill himself on the same day America bombed Japan.

It was a pretty good story, though. Have any of you read The Devil's Arithmetic? It's a historical fiction book about the Holocaust. Great story! Smile
jeberexa

Male
Number of posts : 298

Points 2.0 : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-18

View user profile http://www.kidpolitic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:29 pm

Yea i wrote that a few years ago when I didn't know anything.....and yes I did read Devil's Arithmetic, and I liked it Very Happy I had this huge historical fiction reading phase!

Hazel, the pizza eating, hand walking, inconspicuous ninja, who secretly enjoys eating ice cream while singing at the top of her lungs and dancing around like a maniac, has mega cool superpowers in which she will one day save the world that always seems to be in peril. That is her purpose in life.
Hazel

Female
Number of posts : 11563

Points 2.0 : 10202
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/619558

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top