Is the Grass really Greener on the Other side of Town?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is the Grass really Greener on the Other side of Town?

Post by Hazel on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:08 pm

So I wrote this story last year for school. It had to be about an American Dream. This story turned out to be like 10 pg size 12 font, so i don't kow if i will post the whole thing........if people like it then i will......but no one cares then i won't......that sounds good......so here it is......

Growing up in the American society can be difficult. Especially if you’re like me who

doesn’t have a penny to call my own. All Americans are different of course but they all have one

common characteristic. They all have a dream or desire. As a child what I wanted most was to

be wealthy. I would ask my mother if I would be rich someday. She would always tell me,

“When you look down the road all you can see is a twisted path with roots sticking up all over the

place. You are seeing you future. You must step on to that path to see where life will take you.”

I thought having a lot of money would make me happier but when I look back I think, Did it?

I was born on May 2, 1950 into a family of ten. We lived in an old house with two rooms

in it. The house had no heating or electricity. Not exactly roomy and comfortable but it was

what my parents could afford. I don’t know what they were thinking when they had ten children.

Even wealthy families might have a hard time supporting all of them. Children are expensive to

care for. My parents had barely enough money to feed us. They were always working. I was

practically raised by my older siblings. Or at least the older siblings that didn’t have jobs yet. I

learned to fend for myself at an early age. As a young child it didn’t matter to my that I didn’t

have my own room, had no toys, or had clothes patched and worn many times before. But as I

got older I learned to resent it.

This story began when I was about 14 years old. By that time most of my brothers and

sisters had moved out. My parents were still having a hard time keeping a job to care for their

remaining children.

“Sophia,” my mother said to me. “You would do anything to help this family wouldn’t

you?”

“I would anything to help you Mom.”Of course I wanted to help my parents after how

hard they were trying.

“Well there is this nice family on the other side of town that is looking for a helper to help

with chores and such.”

By the other side of town my mom meant the “rich” side of town. My family lived on the

“poor” side of town since we lacked money. My goal in life was to be rich. Then I would build a

gigantic house on the rich side of town. By helper my mom meant underpaid servant. I had done

all kinds of jobs since I was seven. But not that often on the rich side of town. I hated being

looked down on by people more fortunate then I but if I could earn any amount of money to help

my parents I would do it.

“I will be that helper,” I agreed. I didn’t want to take that job but I wasn’t selfish enough

to tell my mom no.

My mother pulled me into a hug. “Sophia, you know how much this means to me.”

I nodded. I know it meant a lot to her.

“She wants you to start tomorrow. I’ll give you the address then,” my mother said.

Since I would start working tomorrow I figured I should enjoy my freedom while I could.

So I went outside in search of my best friend Oliver. Luckily he wasn’t working today either.

Oliver, like me, lived on the poor side of town. He had one other sibling but his parents were still

just as poor as mine. He had also worked since he was about seven.

“Hey Sophia,” he said walking over to me. I had known Oliver for as long as I could

remember. He was a quiet and kind boy. One of the few children my age that lived near. We

used to play all sorts of games when we were little. Now we just preferred to walk around and

talk.

“Guess what?” I said. And then not waiting for him to answer I added, “My parents got me a job.”
Oliver must have heard the dread in my voice because he put his hand on my shoulder and

said, “That doesn’t sound too hard. It will be great for you to help your parents. My parents are

looking to get me a job too. Maybe I’ll get one near yours and we could walk together to get

there.”

“I would like that,” I said. I thought that it would be nice to have a familiar face close by

and I hated walking through the rich side of town alone.

“Well I had better go home and help my mother with dinner,” I said. I was reluctant to

leave but I knew my mother would appreciate (and expect) my help.

“All right ,” said Oliver. “It was nice seeing you again. I’ll see you later.”

I yelled a quick goodbye as I turned and started running in the direction of my house.

“Sophia,” my mother said. “Where have you been?”

“Just out and about,” I replied. That was enough. I had always wandered around outside.

My parents never cared. Probably because they were never home.

“Where’s Dad?” I inquired. He was usually home by now.

“ He is still working,” replied my mom.

Then I remembered my father got a new job where he left early in the morning and didn’t

get home until late at night.

Making dinner was always short and easy since there was never much to cook. And we

never set the table because we didn’t have a table or silverware. I ate dinner quickly since I didn’t

eat any lunch. It had always been early to bed, early to rise with my family so after dinner I went

to bed.

Morning came fast. It always did. But I dreaded getting up today because I had to start

my job. My mother handed me a little bucket with food in it and a scrap of paper. The scrap of

paper had directions on it. I sighed because that meant my mom was too busy to walk with me.

“You think you can find it?” my mom asked me.

“Yes,” I replied. The directions were pictures since neither my mother nor I could read.

They were pretty straightforward.

“All right then,” my mother said. “Good luck on your first day at work.” She gave me a

hug and then I was on my way.

Even though it was summer and warm outside I made my way quickly through the small

town. The streets were quiet since not that many people were up that early. I usually avoided the

rich side of town like the plague. I couldn’t stand it when rich people stared at me like I was a

filthy little urchin who didn’t have a right to walk their streets. Once and a while someone

would shout an insult at me. Even though there was no one outside yet, it felt odd to be walking

the streets that had such large and fancy houses on either side.

Finally I got to the right house. It was one of the biggest houses. I walked nervously up

to the door, wiped my sweaty hands on my pants and knocked on the door.

A very well dressed woman answered the door. She would’ve been very beautiful if she

didn’t have an expression on her face that stated she thought she was better than everyone. She

looked down on me disdainfully and said, “You are a minute and thirty seconds late. I do not

tolerate tardiness.

At once I did not like this woman. “I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.”

“It had better not,” she replied.

I did not like the tone of voice she was using with me or the way she was looking at me

but I wasn’t about to say anything about it. I needed this job so I followed the woman into the

house.

“Usually you will be doing housework but not today. My daughters’ maid is sick today so

your job will be to tend to her needs.”

The woman led me into a large room with a child in it. I couldn’t find the child at first

because her room was packed with toys. She couldn’t have been more than four. She was an

adorable child. She had on a ruffled dress and her blond curly hair reached to her shoulders. She

looked like a little angel. Maybe this wouldn’t be that bad. A child that cute couldn’t be that

misbehaved. Or at least that is what I thought. The girls mother said nothing she just turned and

left not bothering to tell me the child’s name.

When I had first walked in the child was coloring. Once I entered the room she stopped

and stared at me with huge puppy dog brown eyes. She started to draw again. But not for long.

She crumpled the paper and threw it on the floor.

“I’m bored,” she said. “Entertain me.”

I had no experience with little kids since all my siblings were older than me. “What do

you want me to do?” I asked.

She thought for a moment then demanded, “Sing me a song!”

I wasn’t a very good singer but this child was young maybe she wouldn’t know any

different. So I started to sing a nursery song that had been sung to me when I was little.

“Stop!” She screamed. Then she picked up the nearest toy and threw it at me. Lucky for

me she missed. “I hate that song. Sing me a different one.”

“You shouldn’t throw things,” I said. “You might hurt someone.” By someone I meant

me. If she threw a toy and hurt herself then maybe she would learn her lesson.

“Don’t even think about telling me what to do. I don’t have to listen to you. I’m going to

do whatever I want and if you come anywhere near me I will scream for my mother. She’ll make

you sorry.”

This child may have looked cute and innocent but she was no angel. I had never met such

a spoiled brat in my entire life. Even when I did what she wanted she threw temper tantrums.

It was the longest five hours of my life. Finally the woman entered the room.

“Girl,” she said addressing me. “Your job here today is finished.” Then she gave me my

money.

“Mommy,” the girl whined. “I hate this girl. She can’t sing for beans!”

“She’ll be back tomorrow Holly,” the woman said to the child. Then to me she said. “I

expect you here the same time tomorrow .”

I nodded and then showed myself to the door. I was out of there. I felt free. I never

wanted to come near that house again. The streets were way more crowded now. Children were

playing all over the place. I hurried hoping that nobody would notice me.

“Hey you!” a voice called.

I kept walking. Then I felt a pull on my long brown hair.

“I’m talking to you,” a boy said.

I pried his fingers from my hair. “Keep your filthy hands away from me,” I said angrily.

The boy laughed. “What are you doing here?” he demanded. “You don’t belong here.”

“I don’t have to answer to you,” I said. Then I turned and started walking in the direction

of my home again. I quickened the pace a little.

“Nobody turns their back on me,” the boy shouted after me. “You’re going to be sorry.”

Then I felt something whiz by my head. Then something hit me. The boy was throwing rocks at

me. I started to run as fast as I could. Rocks scattered the road. Most of them missed but the

ones that hit really hurt. Then I realized the boy wasn’t the only one throwing rocks at me. Half

the neighborhood was. I ran for all I could. Finally the shower of rocks stopped. I had entered the

poor side of town. Angry tears ran down my face. I could feel a bruise forming on my cheek.

“Sophia,” a voice called. It was Oliver’s voice. “How was your first..........” He stopped in

mid sentence. He carefully pulled back my hair to see the side of my face. “What did they do to

you?” He asked.

I could feel the tears flow down my face again. “Boys threw rocks at me as I ran down the

street.”

“I knew you shouldn’t have walked down there alone,” Oliver said angrily. “Are you all

right?”

I shrugged. I was terrified to walk down that street again alone.

“You are not going to walk down that street alone,” Oliver declared. “Every day from

now on I will walk you down and back.”

“Thanks,” I said. “But I don’t want people to throw rocks at you.”

“They won’t,” He said.

So that’s how it was for four years. I went to my job and Oliver walked me there and back

every day. The children never bothered me again. I don’t really know why. Oliver wasn’t a big

kid who looked threatening He definitely didn’t look mean or scary. I was 18 then. I felt to

old to keep the same job. I needed a better job. I needed more money than what I had been

earning. Oliver had a job by then so he couldn’t walk me to work anymore. So I went alone. I

told the woman I could no longer work for her. Holly demanded that I stay. Even four years later

she was a little brat. After the first day, I had become her official maid. The woman must have

fired the old maid because I was cheaper. Holly had grown to like me. Probably because I did

exactly what she told me to. I was not sorry to leave.

On my way home I met a wealthy young man about my age. He said his name was

Lucas. I didn’t want to tell him my name. The last time I talked with a boy on the rich side of

town I got rocks thrown at me. I didn’t want to appear rude so I told him.

“Sophia,” he said. “I think you are extremely beautiful.” I was shocked. Nobody ever told

me that before. “I would like to see you again,” he continued. I nodded, barely aware of what I

was saying. “Tomorrow at this spot then. Goodbye.”

So after that I started to meet with Lucas every day. I saw Oliver less often. After about

a month Lucas asked me to marry him. Did I love Lucas? I didn’t think so. But if I married him

then my childhood dreams would come true. I said yes. We were married a week later. The

wedding was grand. So many people attended. Lucas’s house was huge but it was so big that

it didn’t feel like home. I had a lot clothes that I never even wore. Dinner was always a big

event. We had servants. I didn’t have to lift a finger to do anything. But every night I would

second guess my decision. I didn’t feel very happy. But why? I had everything I ever wanted. I

had reached my lifetime goal. Money had seemed so important to me when I had none. Now

money meant nothing to me. It was then that I realized that money didn’t make people happy.

Family made people happy. Friends made people happy. You can’t buy family you can’t

buy friends. I wished that I had figured that out when I was younger so I wouldn’t have wasted

time wishing for money.

I divorced Lucas the following day. He couldn’t understand why. Apparently He thought

he could buy my love. I was only married to him for two weeks.

I went back home and told my parents what had happened. They understood. But now I

had no job and nowhere to go. I couldn’t live with my parents any longer.

I went outside to find Oliver. I wanted to tell him about my poor decisions. I wanted to

apologize for not talking with him for weeks. Money couldn’t buy a friend like Oliver. Then I

realized that the only reason Lucas liked me because I was pretty. Oliver was my friend because

of who I was.

“Sophia,” Oliver called. I looked up. “How’s it going?”

I told him everything. “I think you made the right choice.” he said. “When I was little what

I wanted most was money too. But not anymore.

“What do you want now?” I asked.

“I want you to marry me,” he said.

I didn’t even think about it. Without hesitation I said yes. We were married the next day.

The house was small. I didn’t have a lot of clothes or food. We didn’t have a lot of money.

Was I happy? Happier than I had been in my entire life. Is the grass really greener on the other

side of town? The answer is no.

Sorry I got carried away and posted the whole thing.......hehe
But i really want to know what people think about it......... and the ending has the whole point....
Hazel

Female
Number of posts : 11563

Points 2.0 : 10202
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/619558

Back to top Go down

Re: Is the Grass really Greener on the Other side of Town?

Post by Moonlite Knight on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:13 pm

That was awesome! I loved it. It was intereting and it had a moral, that everyone should learn early on in life, in my opinion. Money can not but you happiness, never. That's waht I think. Anywa, that was really good, I disliked the rich, espically the rock throwing boys and little blond girl, Holly. And I felt sorry for the poor. Good grammer and spelling, too.

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·`¤~ Join the Kingdom of Darkness, or this shall be your fate.~¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·`¤
Moonlite Knight
Prodigy Writer

Female
Number of posts : 2031

Points 2.0 : 469
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1221019/Moonlite_Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklady on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 am

You've shown me this before, and I like it even more now. When I read the 'And it was like that for four years' I almost cried. There was something so deep and hidden in those words that made me want to wail or something.

Brilliant story.
I'm welling up inside.

Darklady
Writing Whiz

Female
Number of posts : 168

Points 2.0 : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Oh yay, I wrote something moving, I'm so proud of myself. Very Happy Thanks for reading this though guys, I didn't think that anyone would read it because it is so long! Very Happy

Hazel, the pizza eating, hand walking, inconspicuous ninja, who secretly enjoys eating ice cream while singing at the top of her lungs and dancing around like a maniac, has mega cool superpowers in which she will one day save the world that always seems to be in peril. That is her purpose in life.
Hazel

Female
Number of posts : 11563

Points 2.0 : 10202
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/619558

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top